 Robotics / Handy Board / 387
Re: sony-ir.icb problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 2 May 1996 12:28:41 GMT

What can you say about the following error?

C> load sony-ir.icb
Fatal internal error:
Illegal line in .s19 file

-martin

First, check the FAQ before posting!  One solution to problems with
ICB files are already answered in:

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/faq.htm

Here is a copy of the answer for your convenience.

If this does not solve your problem please follow up.

-Fred

I'M USING MS-DOS AND IC WON'T LOAD MY ICB FILES.

Please note one big GOTCHA with ICB files. On the MS-DOS platform, the
ICB files must have Unix-style line termination. OK, what does that
mean.

In a text file, the Mac, Unix, and MS-DOS file systems each have a
different way of specifying the end of each text line. On the Mac, a
ctrl-M indicates the end of line. On Unix, it's a ctrl-J. On the PC,
it's a ctrl-M followed by a ctrl-J.

If you use the web assembler and you've got MS-DOS, when you save the
resulting ICB file it will undoubtedly create a normal DOS text file,
with ctrl-M + ctrl-J linefeeds. YOU MUST MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE AND
REMOVE ALL OF THE CTRL-M's. Now the file will look funny, because "in
the olden days," ctrl-J meant line feed and ctrl-M meant carriage
return (think TeleType). So on MS-DOS, when you remove the ctrl-M's
you get files where each new line starts where the last one ended in
terms of screen column.

Anyhow, it must be done on MS-DOS using freeware IC! On the Mac and
Unix platforms, the freeware IC accepts the corresponding native text
file format.