 Robotics / Handy Board / 3849
Re: RC Servo motor internal electronics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 03:59:17 GMT

Ideally, I could use an H-bridge on the same board as the "new" electronics
and provide expanded feedback such as current sensing or encoder in addition
to the normal servo interface. It would also be nice to allow PWM to control
the power presented to the motor. The real clincher is understanding how to
turn the signal pulse length into something useful I can deal with and
compare to the output of an encoder or pot.

I've already thought through using an oscillator and counters with a oneshot
timer to generate continuous PWM by just having the CPU write to a couple of
memory locations that would be latched as control registers. This offloads
the PWM control from the CPU, except to establish parameters.

Mike
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Downey <mdowney@dbtech.net>
To: michaelj@wt.net <michaelj@wt.net>
Date: Monday, May 18, 1998 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: RC Servo motor internal electronics

I have heard of several people using the actual boards out of hobby
servos to interface to a much larger motor. The board is obviously using
a low current transistor to power the motor in the servo, however you
could probably interface the output directly out of that to drive a much
higher current power transistor. How many amps do you need to drive?