 Robotics / Handy Board / 3847
3846  |  3848
Subject:
RC Servo motor internal electronics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 07:10:23 GMT

Has anyone out there ever seen, heard about, or thought about the details of
electronic circuit built into a hobby servo motor to do the positioning and
maintaining the position based on the signal pulse sent? I am interested in
any information or schematics that could help me, at least academically, maybe
enough to build a DC motor control board that will interface just like a hobby
servo.

I am in the design phase of a walking robot and see the need for 3 different
size motors for each leg and have toyed with using regular DC motors. I would
like to offload the detailed control of these motors from the microcontroller
by interfacing them like a Futuba servo. This way the motor modules would be
plug and play "black boxes" and could be scaled to virtually any size without
the CPU knowing anything about it. This would also allow me to reduce or increase
gearing on any particular motor to adjust the speed or torque required.

I understand the use and need of the Pot for feedback but how can the length
of the signal pulse be translated into a useful signal that can be compared
to the output of the pot to indicate direction and need to move. (I do tend
toward the digital end of the spectrum but am trying to understand more of the
analog side)

Even if you don't have any details as to their operation, any brainstorming
tips would be appreciated.

Mike