 Robotics / Handy Board / 3836
3835  |  3837
Subject:
Shorted Handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 19:29:18 GMT

Finishing mounting our handyboard to the chasis of our robot, we shorted
the board.  A screwdriver made contact near the IR reciever on the bottom
right corner of the board.  Additionally, the 2.5A fuse blew.

After this occured, we have not been able to get the board to work.  First,
when we turned in on, all the motor drivers turned on.  After this, we felt
we had blown the microprocessor and maybe the other chips so we ordered
them for replacements.

When we replaced the HC11 chip and tried to download the code in bootstrap
mode, the motor drivers were no longer on, but after the pcode was
downloaded and the board turned off and on, the computer still didn't
recognize the board and prompted us to look for board and download the
pcode again.  Subsequently, we have replaced some of the other logic chips
but to no avail.  One chip we have not replaced is the SRAM.  Is this
something that we will need to replace?

As students, this is our first attempt with a microcontroller and we don't
know how to approach fixing this blown board. What other information do you
need?  What do we need to check on the board?  We can't download the code
so we have no idea what works.

Thanks for your help.  Our due date is in 9 days, so we need help as soon
as possible.  Tell us what info you need or what to do so our board will
function again.

Jon Church

Northwestern University
(847) 332-6829