 Robotics / Handy Board / 3831
3830  |  3832
Subject:
What is the best way to eliminate mechanical error trough software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 19:38:50 GMT

Hi

I built a small circular robot base with differential steering using 3" diameter
rubber wheels and optical encoders on both wheels.
The motors powering the robot are high efficiency German built gear motors using
300 mA when stalled, and rotating @ 60 RPM unloaded.
The encoders are home built reflective type producing 16 pulses/rev.
The robot is controlled by the Handy board using the smooth PWM Pcode.  The
motors are powered by a 12V 3 Ah gel cell battery.

The problem is that one of the motors is 2 RPM slower than the other therefore
the robot tends to drift toward the side of the slower motor.
I have a few ideas on how to accomplish this, but two heads are better than one,
so I'm looking for some input to help me write an efficient program to keep the
robot moving straight.

Any Ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Laszlo Roska.