 Robotics / Handy Board / 3721
3720  |  3722
Subject:
Quick prototyping technologies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:41:51 GMT

I am looking for good methods for quick prototyping and would appreciate all
suggestions.

In Mobile Robots by Joseph L. Jones and Anita M Flynn, they suggest using
Scotchflex by 3M and Speedwire by Bicc-Vero company as two good alternatives
to using breadboard or wire-wrap technology.

As noted in the book, breadboards have the advantage that they are
relatively inexpensive, easy to change, and components are on the same side
as the wiring.  The problems with breadboard technology includes low
component density, stray capacitance between rows, wiring sockets in
breadboards are easily sprung, and it is easy to unintentionally dislodge
connections when a lot of wires are in the breadboard.

Wire-wrap has the advantage of providing more secure connections that
breadboards.  However, the resulting boards are thick, inconvenient to make
changes especially when the wire you want to change is at the bottom of pin,
and uses point-to-point technologies which is messy for connecting the
ground wires.

The problem with Scotchflex by 3M is that I cannot find anyone at 3M that
knows anything about the sockets, plug strips, or the wiring tool discussed
in the book.  If you have these items, I would very much appreciate if you
can give me the part numbers for them.

The problem with Speedwire is that I am told they have discontinued their
line of Speedwire products.

If you know of good alternatives to wire-wrap and breadboards or if you know
of good sources for Scotchflex or Speedwire please pass that information on
to me.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin

Kevin B. Smith
Assistant Professor
Manufacturing Engineering and Engineering Technology
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602-4206
Email: kbsmith@byu.edu
Tel: 801-378-7169