 Robotics / Handy Board / 3703
3702  |  3704
Subject:
A Few Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 14:02:06 GMT

First I want everyone to know two things. First I am new to this list.
Second, I have moderate knowledge of electronics....

Until about a few weeks ago, I had been working with Basic Stamps 1 and 2.
After looking at all the information about HandyBoards/Rug Warrior boards,
I decided to take the plunge and bought a pair of Rug Warrior Pro Kits,
both with Brains/Brawn.

I have noticed that alot of different articles and websites refer to both
boards. I know that there are differences between the two, and being that I
am still learning Interactive C ver 3.2, which came with the Rug kits...

One of the problems I am having is with the IR circut. What is used for
this is:

IS1U60 Detector
74HC14 Hex Schmitt trigger inverter
0.1uF cap (Bypass cap for 74HC14)
0.0022uF cap (Part of IR Oscillator Circut)
and of course a pot to adjust the freq of the oscillator (10k)

What is happening with BOTH rugs is that the distance is no more than 3-4
inches. When adjusting the pot, very little at that, the left LED appears
to be SUPER sensitive, while the right side appears to work just fine.

I have tried the electrical tape on the base of the LEDS, which does not
make any difference.

From what I understand, I should be able to get at least a good distance of
6 inches with these rugs, however I dont know what else to try..

The other question I have is about IC ver 3.2.  It seems that more people
are using older versions as opposed to the newest ones. I grabbed an older
copy that I was able to use with the examples that I had found on the web,
and to be perfectly honest, it was easier to me to learn how to program the
rugs. IS it me or is this something common????

I have a handyboard on order, which I intend to use on a homemade project.
Just in case anyone is wondering why I have to rugs, and now going into a
handy board, its simple, when it comes to building  the robot brain, its no
problem, BUT the actual body/drive, forget it, I am about as useful as a
porcupine in a nudist colony!!!!!

Any help/suggestions GREATLY appreciated...

WebGard LLC dba ESSLink
World Wide Web: http://www.esslink.com
Email: info@esslink.com
Phone: (860) 693-2448