 Robotics / Handy Board / 3695
3694  |  3696
Subject:
Trinity College contest report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:41:52 GMT

Hi all, first, the URL:

  http://www.media.mit.edu/~fredm/projects/tc98/

I went to last weekend's Fire-Fighting Robot Contest at Trinity
College, along with my colleague Steve Ocko, who had built a cute
robot based on our network-cricket technology (see
<http://www.media.mit.edu/~fredm/projects/cricket/techtalk/buscrick.html>
for more on that).

We spent about a day programming, and had a pretty good
wall-following-at-a-distance behavior going using sharp gp2d02 optical
distance sensors.

the best part of our design was how it would put out the candle:  a
LEGO hook and ladder would extend, which would invert a canister of
vinegar into a pellet of baking soda, which caused a strong stream of
foam and CO2 to gush out of the fire hose!

unfortunately, just before our run, i let the robot accidentally
trigger itself, and it spilled vinegar all over itself, and several of
the sensor shorted out.  when i put the robot down to compete, i
didn't realize it but one of the distance sensors wasn't working, so
it just drove around in a circle.  it was quite disappointing.  argh.

anyway, it was great seeing everyone at the contest.  enjoy the
pictures.

fred

In your message you said:

------=_NextPart_000_00A7_01BD6D75.01922C80

Hi,

   I saw your robot at the Trinity fire fighting contest last Sunday. It =
was neat, and very animate. I was curious to know if you had figured out =
why it did what it did during your first run (?). And, what type of =
sensor were you using on the rear right of it. This was my first =
robotics contest, and it was exciting from start to finish.=20

Jose

------=_NextPart_000_00A7_01BD6D75.01922C80

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; I saw your robot at the =
Trinity=20
fire fighting contest last Sunday. It was neat, and very animate. I was =
curious=20
to know if you had figured out why it did what it did during your first =
run (?).=20
And, what type of sensor were you using on the rear right of it. This =
was my=20
first robotics contest, and it was exciting from start to finish. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Jose</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A7_01BD6D75.01922C80--