 Robotics / Handy Board / 3623
Re: Vector V2x Compass
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 16:38:25 GMT

Hi Armeen,
I have the same problem as you. I thought my HB was faulty or it doesn't
work with the 68hc11E processor I use or something.
So what I did was: I wrote a very simple IC-Routine. You have to load
this program with "load v2x.c" and call the routine with "v2x();"
It is very basic but it has one advantage: it works ;) !!

This is how to connect the V2X to HB (referring to Tom's diagram):

V2X HB

GND GND of SPI
+5V +5V of SPI
SS SCK/PD4 of SPI
P/C MISO/PD2 of SPI
SCLK MOSI/PD3 of SPI
SDO Digital input #7

Save this following program under v2x.c:
/* HB V2X-commands */
/* Alf Kuchenbuch 1/1998 */
/* SS=16=yellow; SCLK=8=green; PC=4=orange;;; SDO=blue=dig7 */
int head=0;
int v2x()
{
int dat[18];
int i;
poke (0x1009,0x3c);
/*request*/
poke (0x1008,8+16);
sleep(.1);
poke (0x1008,4+8+16);
sleep(.1);
poke (0x1008,4+8);
for (i=0; i<16 ;i++)
{
sleep(.0001);
poke (0x1008,4);
poke (0x1008,4+8);
dat[i]=1-digital(7);
}
poke (0x1008,4+8+16);
head=-1+dat[15]+dat[14]*2+dat[13]*4+dat[12]*8+dat[11]*16+dat[10]*32+dat[9]*64+dat[8]*128+dat[7]*256;
printf("Heading: %d\n",head);
return head;
}

Hopefully someone has solved the problem so we can use Tom's routines
soon!
CU
Alf

Ameen Suleman wrote:

Hello:
I have a V2x compass and I was trying to hook it into my handyboard
using Tom Brusehaver's .icb, .c and instructions as described in the
contributed section.

I have also grounded the M/S pin on the compass.  The EOC
pin is sent to the HB thru the npn transistor.

All this is discussed in the mail archive and in Tom's
description.  I still can't get the compass to work.
With V2x(), I get a constant heading of 0.
I changed the value of the global head_word to 10 and then
10 appears constantly on the LCD.  Does this mean, I am
not getting any SPI interrupts?  I don't have a logic probe,
but I did reset the Compass by grounding the reset pin for
a moment after running comp_disable(1).  There are no
improvements.
I checked the eoc line - it always reads .76 V, the SS line
(through the transistor, at its collector) reads .1 - .2 V.
I don't know if the compass is sending out any clock signals.
What am I doing wrong?  Do I have a bad compass?
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
...Ameen Suleman