 Robotics / Handy Board / 3602
Re: dc motor blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 11:28:39 GMT

yup, here's what's going on.  the motor percent argument controls the
POWER, not the speed.  if the motor is essentially unloaded, it will
run at nearly full speed even at a low power percentage.

if you build a gear train that makes the motor do some real work (like
carry around the handy board), then you should see a pronounced speed
difference as a result of the different power levels.

fred

In your message you said:
After driving all my robots with step motors, I finally decided to try
driving one with DC motors.  I got a couple of the lego gearmotors, and
mounted them on my robot with belts driving the wheels at a reduction ratio
of about 1.5:1, and have been doing some experimenting with the different
speeds.
I am very surprised at the lack of change between speed 11 (which is the
slowest speed that will actually make the motor turn), and speed 100.  As
near as I can tell there is an 18 rpm difference between speed 11 and speed
100.  The difference is so small that I can't see any difference when I run
my robot across the floor at any speed.  (given that speed 11 results in
183 rpm at the wheel, that is less than a 1% change!)
Has this been the case with any of you?  Am I doing something wrong?  I
don't want to have to go back to step motors!  Please email me with your
experiences!

Note: I am using IC 3.2, but I don't know if the new 'smooth pwm routines'
are in there.  Anybody know how I can tell?  and if they're not, how do I
implement them?

thanks for any insight you can give me.
-patrick