 Robotics / Handy Board / 3486
Re: Wall Following
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 22:49:48 GMT

<snip>
My aim in this project
is to build a robot from a Fischertechnik kit, and control it with a
6.270 board, with the aim being firstly to wall follow, and secondly
to build a Self-Organising Neural Network representation of the
environment.

Problem is the infra-red !! I have spent many weeks trying to get the
robot to follow walls using infra-red, and various other methods, but
to no avail !! The infra-red is too tempramental, or too sensitive to
be of any use. Has anyone else had any experiences like myslef, that
couold possibly help ??

Youre right. I/R is awfully finicky. Your best bet is to do it the way ants
do it: use feelers!
Take a sensitive microswitch (AKA Leaf Switch) and attatch a thin piece of
metal to protruse out as a 'feeler'. You have an easy digital input solution
that will result in a definite yes/no.

phil