 Robotics / Handy Board / 3479
Re: Help reading pulsewidth.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:44:50 GMT

Mike Chang wrote:

Hi all.

Is there a way for me to read the pulsewidth comming out of a RC
receiver?

Handy Boarders:

I cannot resist putting in a couple of plugs here for two good related
resources:

1) The 68HC11 Microcontroller by Joseph Greenfield. This comprehensive book
has a very nice section on reading/writing to I/O ports using timer output
compares with and without interrupts.  It starts pretty much from scratch
with lots of code segments included.  Check it out.

2) A Radio-Controlled Car and a 68HC11 Microprocessor by Dean Hoyt in
Circuit Cellar INK, Issue #78, January 1997.  This article describes how to
use a 68HC11 EVB to decode, read and store RC receiver pulses then replay
them later to duplicate paths.

By the way, Circuit Cellar INK is often a good resource for embedded micro
articles involving robots.  They have had numerous articles over the years
on stepper motors, robot navigation, servos, etc.  This month, #92 March,
there is an article by the Newton Labs folks on their Cognachrome robot
vision system and an article on robot power systems.

* John Vaughn       Phone: 315-781-3906       *
* Dept. of Math & Computer Science  E-mail: vaughn@hws.edu      *
* Scandling 4085      Home: math.hws.edu/vaughn/index.html    *
* Hobart & William Smith Colleges   Fax: 315-781-3587       *
* Geneva, NY 14456      "I don't include cute signature quotes" *