 Robotics / Handy Board / 345
344  |  346
Subject:
it works!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 06:22:26 GMT

Hey, it's time to celebrate!  :-)  I managed to get the h-bridge
circuit working, after thinking about it for a while, tinkering a bit, and
reading a couple chapters on transistors...  :-)  I can run a motor forward
and backward, with no problem.  The thing I'd like to make sure of, though,
is that all the transistors are saturated, but not oversaturated.  I tested
the current going into the base of one of the 2n2907's, when it was on, and
that yielded 3.5mA!  (Wow!)  The current to the base of an active TIP
transistor was 19.5mA, which is also incredibly low!  I'm using a 6V supply,
with a 6V motor.  (However, it's not one of the motors I'm actually going to
be driving, I haven't gotten that far yet!)  Do these readings sound right?
How can I test to find out if all the transistors are properly saturated in
this circuit?

One other thing - I noticed that in the original circuit, the base
of the 2n2907's would be _shorted_ to ground when they were turned on.  This
didn't sound like a great idea, so I inserted a 1K resistor between the base
and ground.  Is this the right thing to do?  Note that I'm _not_ using the
optocouplers yet...  But I will be, in the near future.