 Robotics / Handy Board / 344
Re: Handy and mini boards
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 06:00:39 GMT

Has any one thought of the possibility of interfacing a miniboard to a handyboard?
It would be a cheap way to get extra input/ motor control.  Is this possible?

Yup. Worked for me. :-) I used port D on the HB as a 4 bit output, ran a cable
from there to port C on the MB, and used one of the Y signals on the HB as a
data ready line. On the MB side of things, I just sat in a loop waiting for YX
(where X was 2 in my case) to go low, then I read in the value of the low 4
bits of port C on the MB, which corrisponded to the 4 port D outputs from the
HB.

But then I thought about it a bit, and decided the serial port was the way to
do. So I connected the two serial ports, and, after a little tinkering, got
them to talk to each other. Presto. Worked very nice, but only at 9600 baud. (I
didn't have time to try other speeds.)

*Brian Schmalz
| Brian Schmalz       |  Building autonomous |
| 723 E. John Street  |       LEGO robots at |
| Appleton, WI        |  Lawrence University |
| 54911               |        (414)832-6655 |
|         Brian.P.Schmalz@Lawrence.edu       |
|       http://www.lawrence.edu/~schmalzb    |