 Robotics / Handy Board / 3443
Re: Low battery detection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:54:44 GMT

sure, it will drain the battery, but if it's a low enough drain, you don't
have to worry about it.  for example if you have a 10 amp-hour battery,
drawing .5 mA would take something like 830 days to drain it.  I wouldn't
worry too much.
to calculate the values, just assume a current drain and pick a max
(battery charged) voltage and insert your battery voltage into ohms law
(E=I/R)  andout pops your resistor values:

(example)  you have a 12 volt battery, you want to have a current drain of
.5 mA and you picked 4.5 volts as your 'fully charged' reading.

12-4.5=7.5
7.5/.0005=15000  so R1=15K
4.5/.0005=9000    so R2=9K

wiring:
connect one end of R1 to the positive term of the battery.  connect the
other end of R1 to one end of R2.  connect the other end of R2 to the
battery ground.  connect the junction of R1 and R2 to an analog input of
the HB.

read the value at the analog input while you have your battery discharged
to the point at which you want some action to be taken.

program your robot to take the action when that analog input goes below the
value determined in the previous step.