 Robotics / Handy Board / 3217
Re: Connecting a second sonar module
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:51:13 GMT

I'm curious about connecting two of the Polaroid sonar modules to the Handy
Board v1.2.  Does anyone know whether ports PD2, PD3 and TIC2 can be used to
hook up the second unit in the same way that PD4, PD5 and TIC3 are used for
one unit?  Or is there a better way to do it that wouldn't use up so many of
the ports (e.g., both modules sharing the same BINH and/or ECHO signals)?

Sure, there's no reason you could set it up to use PD4, PD5, and
TIC3 for a 2nd sonar.

you might be able to get away with some signal multiplexing, assuming
you're only firing one sonar at a time.  i could see the BINH being no
problem.  For sharing the ECHO, make sure the polaroid outputs are
open collector so there isn't signal contention.

Fred