 Robotics / Handy Board / 3192
Re: Question re hc374 Digital Out Solution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:46:51 GMT

Then if Y0, Y2, and Y4 were all used for this purpose, I assume
24 digital outputs could be realized?  Cool.

Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try.

Stephen

Thomas Hauri wrote:

Hi Stephen

* outs. Connect the ’hc374’s clock line to any of the three unused
output  latch
* selects of the ’hc138 (Y0, Y2,or Y4). All of these signals are present
on the
* Expansion Bus.

Has anyone done this?  Does this mean that, to get the additional 8
digital outs,

YES :))))

an 'hc374 should be connected as follows:

1. Pins 1D through 8D of 'hc374 connected to the HandyBoard's D0 through
D7?
2. Pins 1Q through 8Q are now the digital outs?

YES

Is it really this simple?  Should resistors or diodes be added to the
circuit?  How
are the new outputs selected?

You also need to connect pin 11 (clk) to either Y0,Y2 or Y4 on the expansion
header.The now select your new outputs. And tie pin 1 to ground to select
the '374

Now you can write to the outputs as follows:

poke(0xOOOO,value);

the OOOO stands for the adress (Y0,Y2 or Y4) and the value is the one you
want on your output.

Unfortunately I don't remember what address the selectors (Y0,Y2,Y4) have.
Please ask Fred or the send a question to the mailing list.

cya Tom