 Robotics / Handy Board / 3170
Re: [Q] power supply for polaroid sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:39:52 GMT

MAR ERICSON wrote:

I haven't seen the schematic you're refering to but I believe you can use
the +5V bus already on a standard HB. Just connect your PWR/GND to one of
those headers "below" one of the A/D inputs. I did this before and it
worked. Apparrently, the 1A +5V regulator can handle the 2A surges the
sensor loads.

I haven't tried this on the HB; but I have with other processors.  I had
problems with the sonar ping resetting the processor at times, as well as
digital noise on the power supply bus causing false echo returns at long
distances (as the polaroid sonar module waits for an echo it turns up it's
sensitivity to the echo signal, as well as it's sensitivity to digital noise).

What I found to work well for me was to put a "filter/energy storage bank" at
each sonar module.  This consisted of a series inductor feeding a large, low
esr, filter cap.  The inductor was a 100uH, 2A "RF choke", and the cap was a
2,200uF, 16V and of good quality.  The inductor you can find almost anywhere,
Radio Shack, Mouser, etc.  For the cap I suggest a good quality one (not the
kind you find at Radio Shack), like a Panasonic from Digi-Key.

Using this method I was able to power a processor and three polaroid sonar
modules all from the same 5V supply.

But obviously if it works ok with just hooking it up you don't need to go to all
this trouble.  I just wanted to point out some potential problems to keep an eye
out for.

Later,

    Rick Moll