 Robotics / Handy Board / 3154
Re: Shaft Encoders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:59:55 GMT

Date:          Mon, 12 Jan 1998 13:19:12 +0100
From:          Thomas Hauri <har@twi.ch>
To:            handyboard@media.mit.edu Subject:
Re: Shaft encoder

Hi

Stefano Nardone wrote:

I need some docs on interfacing/reading a quadrature
shaft encoder to a 68hc11... someone can give me
some hint?

  You could use spezial interface chips to solve your
  problem. Hewlett
Packard has some chips (HCTL2016, HCTL2020) which are
easy to use and offer a lot of features.

I have used the HCTL2020 with the handyboard. If you
want to interface the shaft encoder without special
chip you need to measure the pulsewidth of the signal
from the encoder aswell as a direction bit which you
can generate with a simple and-gate. I have written a
couple of programs (asm) to measure frequencies and
pulsewidth with the Input Counter of the hc11. Tell if
you need them.

bye

Tom

Hi there,

Would these chips be suitable for interfacing a mouse to
the Handyboard? My robot incorporates a mouse as a
castor wheel and I want to use its shaft encoders as
position/velocity sensors (relative) for the robot, but
I don't know where to look for details on how the
signals are generated and transmitted for a mouse. Do
you have any suggestions?

Marie