 Robotics / Handy Board / 2990
Re: 293s, Cable
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:45:58 GMT

In your message you said:
We're trying to build a handyboard, and we attempted to dl the .s19, but
it doesn't work.  It gives the connecting at 1200 baud.... message but
nothing happens after this.  Two issues that I believe may be causing this
are:

1) we don't have the 293 motor drivers on the board, since we have no use
for them; are then mandatory for proper functionality?

this isn't the problem.

2) we're using a straight cable for download; I read in some documentation
that a crossover cable may be nec. for some applications, but it didn't
specify the handyboard.

please do the following, and specify the point of failure.

1.  Open a terminal emulator program on your CPU (e.g., ProComm for
DOS, HyperTerminal for Windows 95, ZTerm for Mac).  Select the serial
port you're going to connect with.  Establish communications
parameters of 300 baud, no parity, eight data bits, 1 stop bit
(N-8-1).  Disable all handshaking (e.g., both hardware handshaking and
software handshaking).

2.  Connect the serial interface to your computer, and give it power
from the DC adapter.  Do NOT connect the HB at this time.  The green
(SER) and red (PWR) LEDs on the interface should light up.

3.  Type random characters on your keyboard.  For each keystroke, the
green SER LED on the interface board should flash briefly.  It will be
only a dim flashing; look closely.  THIS STEP PROVES THAT YOUR
COMPUTER CAN TRANSMIT DATA TO THE SERIAL INTERFACE.

4.  Power on your HB with the Stop button held down.  Do NOT plug it
into the serial interface yet.  When you turn on the HB, the green/red
LEDs near the Stop button should both flash on for 1/3 sec, and both
turn off.  THIS DEMONSTRATES THAT YOUR HANDY BOARD IS PROPERLY IN THE
SERIAL BOOTSTRAP MODE.

5.    Connect your HB to the serial interface, using a standard
telephone style RJ11 cable.  SEE THE FOLLOWING URL IF YOU ARE NOT
CLEAR WHAT THIS MEANS.

http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/faq/index.html#rj11

The green PWR LED on the HB should STAY OFF.  If it turns on, try
power-cycling the HB with the Stop button held down.  If the green LED
on the HB won't stay off, the MAX232 chip on your interface is
probably bad, OR you have the wrong kind of RJ11 cable.

6.  Type a random keystroke on your keyboard.  The green LED on the HB
should now light up.

7.  If you have made it this far, you have demonstrated proper serial
communication from your CPU to the Handy Board.  The other direction
(Handy Board -> desktop) may still be broken, but there is no easy way
to test for this.

8.  Quit your terminal emulation program.

9.  Power-cycle the Handy Board, holding down the Stop button.  Both
LEDs on the HB should turn on and then stay off.

10.  Run the downloader program.  If it fails, describe the failure
mode in detail.

Fred