 Robotics / Handy Board / 2879
Re: Rob Gaunts Last Message
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:05:43 GMT

Whoa, i just realized that the instructions *are* correct.

Here's why.  For this voltage test, the instructions assume you are
powering your board from the DC adapter.  This should give the 15
volts mentioned, unless:

* you hooked up the battery pack already (before you were supposed to,
I might add!).  This would explain the 9v, since the battery pack
voltage is 9 to 10 volts.

* you have an under-powered adapter.  You should have a 12v, 500 mA DC
adapter, which would measure 17 to 18 v open circuit (i.e., when
nothing is connected).

* (this one is less likely) there is a partial short on your board,
which is drawing lots of current and depressing the adapter voltage
all the way down to 9v.

In any case, something is wrong, and unless it's just that you jumped
the gun and already installed the battery pack, you should figure out
what it is.

Fred

In your message you said:
Now things are working fine
except that the voltage at pin 8 of U10 and U11 is 9 volts instead of the
15 that it says it should be.  I am still using pin 4 as ground.  I don't
know if this matters at all.  Thanks for taking the time te read that
long winded last message of mine.

the instructions are wrong -- you should be seeing about 9v, which is
the voltage on the nicad pack.

i will revise the instructions.  thanks for pointing out the problem.

fred