 Robotics / Handy Board / 2852
Re: pcode_hb download problem. Please Help me.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:27:41 GMT

ok, telephone cable, should be something like this:
(please excuse the ascii art)(test by putting both connecters together,
facing each other end-to-end. the colours dont really matter, as long as
they match:

___________ ___________
--red-----| |--red-----
--yellow--| |--yellow--
--green---| |--green---
--black---| |--black---
----------- -----------

aslo a good test, if you cant see the cable colours, is a contiuity test
withthem facing each other like this. in a network style phone cable,
there are two cables athat are twisted. so you wont get continuity on
those when you test straight across.

next. the db25 cable. are you ably to plug the charger/serial board
DIRECTLY into the computer? i was but i had to remove the metal nuts on
the connector. i now just plug the board into the back and run the phone
cord as my connector.  granted my computer is lying on the floor backwards
and i am able to see the connector at the back easily. but this would be
a simple way to check if the cable was at fault.

i also used the silver crystal and the caps. mine works okay. it is
conceivable that you got a bad crystal. but it probably would have been
detected in earlier tests.

i would also triple check all your solder joints. one of my digitals
wasnt working and it took me about an hour to ealize i had  acold solder
joint.

double check you are using the appropriate downloader for your chip (i
learned the frustrating way that E1 doesnt like them all, a little bit of
reading would have saved me a lot of time)

also, i have had problems with downloaders on 32 bit platforms.
specifically NT, and John Plasterer has had problems in win95. my board
works well with dos 5.0, win 3.1, and Mac 7.1.2

thats all i can think of right now!
good luck!

will brooke