 Robotics / Handy Board / 28
RE: Connected Radioshack truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 21:13:15 GMT

like Ram,
I connected successfully a radio shack RC truck (4WS) to the handy board.

(snip)

I am still looking for cheap shaft encoders, and good DC motors drawing less
than 600mA.

I also have one of the Radio Shack RC trucks.  A good solution for shaft
encoding would be to glue a couple (or 4) magnets to the inside rim of the
rear tires.  Then glue a hall effect sensor to the axle.  When the wheel
spins, the hall effect sensor would sense the magnets.

You know what makes REALLY good REALLY cheap shaft encoders? Mice! Get an old
mouse that has a broken button (that's usually what goes on mice) and pull it
appart. Sometimes, depending upon the kind of mouse, you can get really luckey,
and be able to just snap off the IR emitter/reciever PCB section, mount it on
whatever you want (I used LEGOS, so that I now have 2 LEGO shaft encoders) and
then solder the connections from the IR PCB to the main PCB. There is some kind
of chip on the main mouse PCB that sometimes has some unused pins. In the mice
that I've used, these unused pins supply TTL level square wave outputs that are
quadrature-encoded. Run wires from the main mouse PCB to your HB/MB digital
inputs, and you not only know how far you've gone, you can tell in what
direction.

This whole process is rather putzy, but it's really cheap (even new mice aren't
that expensive), it gives you 2 shaft encoders, and all of the pulse shaping is
done already on the mouse board. Mice are also usually very sensitive too, so
you get great resolution.

Good luck-

*Brian Schmalz
|               Brian Schmalz              |
|             Lawrence University          |
|                Appleton, WI              |
|        Brian.P.Schmalz@Lawrence.edu      |
| http://ellen.acad.lawrence.edu/~schmalzb |
|            ftp://143.44.104.32           |