 Robotics / Handy Board / 2704
  DC adapter

Hi all, Just another (hopefully unanswered) question about the DC adapter: Do the specifications stated in the FAQ (18 volts unconnected) also apply to _regulated_ adapters, or only to unregulated? I'm asking this because I just bought a new (...) (27 years ago, 4-Sep-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: DC adapter

Good question. Answer: DO NOT USE REGULATED ADAPTERS WITH THE HANDY BOARD. I will add this to the FAQ, because it is not obvious, but the HB power circuitry was designed explicitly for CHEAPO UNREGULATED WALL WARTS ONLY. sorry, Fred In your message (...) (27 years ago, 4-Sep-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: DC adapter

(...) Isn't this a bit sweeping? Surely the problem is that a 12v regulated supply will not have enough headroom with a 9.6V battery. I use a 7.2V battery without problems (that I am aware of).It is not the regulation that is the actual problem but (...) (27 years ago, 5-Sep-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: DC adapter

a regulated supply would be really nasty when you put the interface board in ZAP mode -- the supply would try to raise the level of the battery to 15v or whatever, and that would be bad. so unless you really know what you are doing, steer clear of (...) (27 years ago, 5-Sep-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: DC adapter

Hmm... As usual I opened my mouth only to change feet. Naturally, for my own reasons, I disabled zap mode on my board so I did not think about that. (...) -- ===...=== peter.harrison@cannock.ac.uk Cannock Chase Technical College (27 years ago, 8-Sep-97, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)