 Robotics / Handy Board / 2698
Re: Pic board onto handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 22:15:25 GMT

Michael Lea wrote:

Dear Handyboarders

Some time ago I bought a toy that runs off 2 - 1.5 volt batteries. The
controller board has a PIC on it, control of the toy was via a TV
remote, and it ran two separate motors for the drive train. There is
also an on/off switch.

My question - I want to make use of the program in the PIC and will
like to incorporate the PIC board with a handyboard. Is this possible?
I am really short on electronics understanding - but I do know I don't
want to smoke my handyboard!

I would appreciate any comments or assistance.

Sincerely

Michael
Hello Michael

I might be able to help you out a bit!

I think that the toy you are talking about is featured in the
March 1996 issue of Electronics Now mag (cover page)

It describes how to build a runabout Robot controlled by a Sony
compatible remote control, it uses a PIC16C56 as the brain.
It controls two small DC motors for propulsion.

The magazine unfortunately does not list the program, but provides
a flow chart of the program. It also describes how the Sony remote
control actually works1!  Interesting article.

If you know anything about programing and you are familiar with IC
then it's posible to use the flow chart to port it to the handy board.

I am hoping that the PIC board could get power from the handyboard. Is
it possible to have the handyboard transmit I.R. controls to the PIC
board instead of the TV remote?

The handy board has the capability to transmit IR controls to the PIC
with a bit of programing if thats the way you want to go.

I hope that helps!

Laz