 Robotics / Handy Board / 2677
Re: Manipulate the LCD in assembler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 13:35:55 GMT

Folks,

I gave it a little more thought, and had some coffee to wake me up.  I
remember now!  Somehow I blew out the D0 line on my LCD and I had to use 4
bit mode from then on since the upper 4 addresses were still fine.  I had
forgotten that a long time ago I had modified my Pcode to work with my
broken LCD.  So now the code that I pointed to below should work fine for
everyone else.  I have a 40x2 LCD so some small modifications to the
initialization might have to be made for those with different LCD modules.

-Dave

Folks,

Ok, I took a look at the code last night.  I found simple errors like not
initializing the stack, addressing variables in RAM chip when in single
chip mode and forgetting to use # for immediate data.  Simple mistakes
that
I have made more than my share.  I cleaned it up however, and almost have
it working.  It now seems to initialize the LCD correctly.  I wrote a
routine to output 'A'-'Z' on the screen but instead it prints out:

'@BBDDFFHHJJLLNNPPRRTTVVXXZ'

Simple enough.  Looks like the data line 0 is stuck low.  Nope.  I
immediately opened up interactive C without changing my setup, and it
worked fine.  So what is the issue?  I am very confused.  If anyone is
willing to take a look at the code, please point your web browser to:

http://falcon.arts.cornell.edu/~dnegro/temp/Prueba4.a

or I can mail you the file.

Thank you,
-Dave Negro