 Robotics / Handy Board / 2659
2658  |  2660
Subject:
Adding to the data bus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 17:34:07 GMT

    After looking at the addressing scheme on the handyboard and determining it
is possible to add a number of more outputs and inputs by extending the data
lines to another board and using the free lines comming from the 74hc138.
I built a robot arm that I want to control using the board. It has 5 stepper
motors and 5 sensors. I plan on using the Sprague UCN5804b stepper controller.
The 74hc374 will store the states needed for the stepper controller (direction,
output enable and step input) Then, the step input is toggled to step the
motor. The other control pins on the ic will be jumpered to allow changing of
the step mode. The sensors for the arm are HEI sensors, a matched emitter and
detector pair. I plan to integrate them as is done on the main board.

My questions are:
Does anyone see any flaws in my schematic or design.
How critical is using 74hc374 as opposed to 74ls374.
Do I need to add a buffer to the data line for the short distance to the second
board. I had planned to solder some ribbon cable to the bottom of the connector
for the LCD display.

Feel free to be critical of my design, I already have the UCN5804b controllers
and to me the chip looks like a good solution to stepping motors.

Thanks

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="stepper1.jpg"