 Robotics / Handy Board / 2657
Re: free memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 05:11:14 GMT

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 97 23:41:45 -0400
From: "Fred G. Martin" <fredm@media.mit.edu>

I don't remember exactly, but the memory map for IC is something like:

pcode itself: 8K used
user compiled code + global program data:  16K available
user process stacks and runtime locals: 8K available
32K total memory

this is ball park.  maybe randy/newton labs can provide more info on
the latest ic versions.

-fred

Ther is a way to tell how much free RAM I have on the HB with IC? or
how much memory does pcode take?

regards

   stefano nardone

Hi,
I've just been working on the p-code interpreter.  I've been working
with the Version 2.861, not the HandyBoard version.  But I did a "diff"
and there doesn't seem to be much difference.  At any rate, here's the
map I made for Version 2.861:

68HC11A1    Memory Usage
$0000        ZERO PAGE VARS
$1000-103F   64 REG BLOCK

$8000+       PCODE_ORIGIN
$B600-B7FF   512 EEPROM
$BFC0-       GLOBALS_ORIGIN
$BFC0+       SPCL MODE I.V.
$C000+       JUMPTABLE
$C100+       STRING_TEMP_BUFFER
$C110+       PRINT_BUFFER
$C200+       UI_PROCESS_BUFFER
$C300+       PROCESS_TABLE
$C500+       MAIN_CODE
$E400+       PCODE_STACK_END
$FE00-       PCODE_STACK_BEGIN
$FEFF-       MACHINE_STACK
$FF00        VERSION_NUMBER
$FF02        THE_ZERO_ARRAY
$FFC0+       NORM MODE I.V.

Hope this helps.  Better check any specifics you need (source code is
on the Web site), because I just made this a few days ago and there may
be errors.  I don't remember a host command to list usages of all the
various memory blocks, but that would indeed be useful.

Rich Kellner