 Robotics / Handy Board / 2569
Re: 3V motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 1997 16:01:02 GMT

I too had a problem with 3 volt motors. The issue is the height of the PWM
output. If you drive your motor function at 50%, then 50% of 9.6V is still
much higher than the 3 VDC for full speed. One way to get some resolution
is to modify the supply pin of the L293D to be 5 VDC instead of 9.6. There
are instructions on how to do this on the HB web site. This gave me some
resolution, but the best advice for anyone using the HB is to use 9.6 V
MOTORS!! I have started work on the Tyco ZIG ZAG RC car...it has 9.6 V
motors. I wasted a lot of time with those 3v motors, stick with 9.6 and
save yourself some trouble.

jm