 Robotics / Handy Board / 2556
Re: RC bot base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 1997 16:11:03 GMT

Hi,
A few students here at Penn State Abington successfully controlled the
Zig-Zag using  a 6270 board with both a 6volt and 9.6 volt supply using a .5
or 1 ohm series resistor.  If I remember correctly the current is in the 2
amp range when loaded.  Also, we discovered that the retractable wheels will
not deploy correctly with the additional weight of a controller board and
some batteries, and we were forced to replace the springs - nothing is
simple. The  two Zig-Zags were entered in the 1997 Trinity fire-fighting
competition. They were able to successfully navigate the entire maze with
shaft encoders, but both suffered software problems during the candle
extinguishing phase.
    You may want to consider a separate H-bridge circuit or hack the
circuitry in the R/C platform itself if you plan to use the HB.  Don't
forget about the potential  weight problem. Good luck.
-Bob