 Robotics / Handy Board / 2522
Re: I2C Counters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 03:58:18 GMT

How many counts, how fast are you counting?
Can the LSBs be dropped?
What I'm suggesting is using a clock/calendar or clock/calendar/RAM
such as the Philips PCF8583. Input your wheel pulses instead of the
oscillator. You scale by 256in one mode, count directly in another.
There are lots of bits, but they are BCD decimal and time modulo.
1/100's, 1/10's, seconds (mod 60), minutes (mod 60), etc.

Or you could use 2 chips each 2 to 3 times the size,
your favorite CMOS counter and a PCF8574 I2C I/O expander.