 Robotics / Handy Board / 25
Re: Using cheap RC chasis as 'bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 18:11:27 GMT

A better design will use skid steering (like a tank). Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to find any source of quality, yet low cost (i.e., under
$100), RC vehicles based on skid steering. I've considered RC tanks,

The biggest problem with tank like drives is the marks/scratches on
the floor.  Any robot with any weight will probably damage a maple or
other hardwood floor in short order.  They work fin in a lab with
waxed tile floors that no one cares about, but in the real world, this
isn't the solution.

It sounds like everyone tries to rely on inertial navigation systems.
This is fine, and has worked for many missions for many years (space
explorations, aircraft navigation), but is usually used for gross
navigation (get you in the neighboorhood of the destination).  Robots
need sensors to get fine navigation down.  I would hardly enjoy a
flight to europe relying soley on inertial navigation, and landing
only 50 feet from the runway :-).

The handy board has IR sensors, use them for position sensing.  Put
beacons in strategic locations within the space, and the kinematics
will work out.

--
tgb@bnr.com