 Robotics / Handy Board / 2434
Re: Mars rover
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 12:47:28 GMT

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Church, Steve (mailhub) wrote:

Having seen pictures of the Mars rover I am intrigued as to the
mechanics of it. Does anyone know of where to get any details of such
things as drive system and suspension. I don't have a few million
dollars to make one but there may be some useful ideas for outside
robots.

Well, the wheels are each driven independently by an internal motor.  The
rocker-bogie suspension is self-evident, but of course it works best if
the wheel and motor sit out at the ends of the suspension.  That means
six motors.

I gather that the rover is controlled by an 8085 micro. Has anyone tried
to get NASA interested in the Handyboard?!

I haven't seen a radiation-hardened and mil-spec qualified version of the
Handyboard.  Remember, initial cost of an item is insignificant when you
compare it to the cost of space-qualifying it.  Besides, the supply of
68HC11 chips seems a little erratic for a program which designs, buys,
tests, and flies over a period of *years*.

-mike

* Michael L. Ross/C33 | Lockheed Martin Eng & Sci Svcs Co. ****
* Robotics Department | 2400 Nasa Rd. 1, Houston, TX 77058*****
* (281)333-7094; (281)333-6071 fax*    #include <disclaimer.h>*
* Finger me for my public key.  mross@outland.jsc.nasa.gov ****