 Robotics / Handy Board / 2420
Re: Chip Puller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:30:21 GMT

R> Does anyone know where I can buy a chip puller for the 6811.
R> Robin

Jameco sells 'em   (http://www.jameco.com)

Part no 16766  $3.95

This is good advice! Their sales number is: (800) 831-4242. I think I
saw a similar device in Radio Shack the last time I was there as well.
I don't know what the price was but probably comparable.

If you are careful, and stuff, you can use  little screwdrivers to
pull chips.  Wiggle one corner loose, then the other, then the first,
etc.  Maybe a 1/16" at a time.

This is NOT good advice! :)

It is my opinion that folks can only be "careful" about 1% of the time and
end up with broken sockets the other 99% of the time. At $3.95 for a cheap
chip changer (say that three times fast!) that's the best insurance policy
that one can have. It is certainly a lot cheaper (in both time and money)
than desoldering a PLCC socket and replacing it- that is assuming it isn't
a surface mount socket! Spend the $3.95, you'll be glad you did.

John