 Robotics / Handy Board / 2384
Re: spi serial port.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 1997 03:56:34 GMT

At 20:57 97-06-26 -0400, you wrote:
e. crispell wagner spake unto the ether:

Has anyone done any work on 'networking protocol' using the spi port on
the handy board to communicate with other 6811's/handy boards/mini-boards?
Any information regarding the spi for serial communications or a simple
network would be appreciated.

Please don't laugh at me, folks, you may not believe it,
but this problem was solved in 1982 by the ill-fated Coleco ADAM
computer.

The ADAM's peripherals (disk drive, tape drive, printer,
serial/parallel card, keyboard) were attached to a token-passing
network using the SPI port of Motorola 6801 microcontrollers.
This network was called ADAMnet.  Peripherals were connected by
simple 6-conductor phone cable (which had a single serial data line,
+5V and ground so low-load peripherals like keyboards didn't need
a separate power supply, and a network RESET line), and you could
daisy-chain them.  A "Master" 6801 sat on the ADAM motherboard and
interfaced between the Z80 CPU and the network devices.  User device
I/O requests were routed to the appropriate peripheral by broadcasting
a token packet to the network; all devices would receive the token,
their firmware would decide if it was for them or not, and they would
either process the request or else go to sleep until the responding
peripheral had competed the I/O.  The Motorola 68xx family of
microcontrollers all implement this network-capable SPI port:  as long
as the network data is packet-oriented (so single transactions take
place in a continuous stream of serial bytes), a network device can
put itself to sleep (i.e., disable its response to the SPI RxD
interrupt) and stay asleep while someone else uses the bus, until there
is a certain number of clock cycles of inactivity, at which point the
RxD interrupt magically re-enables and the peripheral waits for another
token packet.

The 6811 can be used in exactly this way (in fact, I've toyed
with the idea of writing some ADAMnet firmware for the Handy Board, so
I could have an ADAM-controlled robot board).

For this kind of network protocol to work, however, you would
need some kind of "Master" to regulate access to the network, to
prevent two network nodes from trying to talk at the same time.
There may be other viable network topologies; I have not studied
networking except to learn about how it works on the Coleco ADAM.
Apologies in advance for any amateur's ignorance I may be displaying.

If there is any interest in further technical details about the
ADAMnet SPI bus, please let me know and I'll put something together.
(It might not be immediately, but certainly before the end of the summer.)

*Rich* (whose hobby system is the Coleco ADAM)

--
Richard F. Drushel, Ph.D.            | "Aplysia californica" is your • taxonomic
Department of Biology, Slug Division | nomenclature.  /  A slug, by any other

That's an interesting topology. If someone is using Master/Slave principle,
he could take some of the master processing time to give voice to each
slave, like cycling thru all the nodes. He could even build an
online/offline scheme without taking down the network. Each slave could
Answer "no request to do" or "I have a job request for node number x". This
way, the master could cycle all the nodes, and if the highest node + 1 is
reached, no answer is detected, and then the master could ask "anybody
over?". Then if a node had been taking down within two other nodes, the
leftover node could answer "i'm over here". The master could rebuild the
nodes number. This way, you could add and remove any processors on the
network.

Even easier:
Each processor is fashionned in a token ring manner. But the main
difference is that every processor is a master at a time. Like if a flag
was circulating between each processors hands. Each time a processors ends
its job, it hands the flag to the next processor. When a processor is taken
down in the middle of the chain, the processor before the hole could simply
asks again "Did we forgot someone?" and then the other processors leftover
could answer "yes". Then the first processor could ask for a token
restructuration.

wow! i'm beginning to love networks :) I wish I had three or four HB :)))

cya all!!

| Remi Desrosiers         \       |
| "My Youth in Arcadia"    \      |
| harlock@videotron.ca      \     |