 Robotics / Handy Board / 2357
2356  |  2358
Subject:
Trouble with MAX232
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:01:55 GMT

Just starting with the HB and already problems

Im having problems getting the 9 to 10 volts out of pins 3-7 of J9
(the RS232 connector) when pins 6 and 10 of the MAX232 are shorted in
the last paragraph of step 3.2.2.  Everything else up to this poit
works just like the book says.  I only get 4.25 volts.

I checked the archives and found some references to this problem but
I didn't really find a solution so...... her I am.  Any one know what
is happening.

My MAX232 chip is a Nat. Semi DS14C232CN.  I've tried two different
chips.  Both of them do the same thing, 4.25 volts.  Emails in the
archive suggessted checking the voltage across the four capacitor.
Two should be 10V and two should be 5V.  That checks out.  Other
suggestions said to get the Maxim versions of the chip.   Thats
probably what I'll do unless anyone has any better ideas.

Thanks.