 Robotics / Handy Board / 23
22  |  24
Subject:
Connected Radioshack truck
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 16:38:00 GMT

like Ram,
I connected successfully a radio shack RC truck (4WS) to the handy board.

for the DC motor controlling forward and backward speed, I found the 2
entries of the h bridge connecting the motor.
I replaced the cheap front end steering servo with a futaba controlled
directly by the handy board. I adapted somewhat the coupling to get more
precision.

There are 5 power transistors on one end of the radio shack board. The 4
power transistors of the h bridge are easy to find because they have
connected by pair to the DC motor. each of the 4 transistors has three pins,
one connected to the motor, one connected to either Gnd or +V, the other is
the base. if you follow the base, it goes through another transistor and
throuh a 16k resistor is connected to the CMOS chip. On my board it is
connected to pin 2 and 12 of the chip.
I lifted the resistors and connected the 2 leads to the DC control of the
handy board.
I suspect all Radio shack RC are using similar electronics.

The futaba servo is connected as fred described in earlier emails.

Two problems:
a) PWM does not work. I believe the RC value of the bridge is too slow. I'll
try to fix that next week end.
b) 3V is extracted from the batteries. For some reasons it is now drawing
toomuch current at 3V. the batteries get warm quickly. I do not believe I
need the 3V, but will figure it out soon.

If anyonecares I could scan the electronic board and show where I made the
connections.

I am still looking for cheap shaft encoders, and good DC motors drawing less
than 600mA.

Thx.

Luc Barthelet
V.P. Technology