 Robotics / Handy Board / 2257
Re: Digital Micro Systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 23:44:00 GMT

Prabal Dutta wrote:

Dear Phet & fellow Handy Board users,

I am the person responsible for Digital Micro Systems operations and
accept full responsibilty for the delay in processing your order(s).
As
many of you know, Digital Micro Systems is a very small company, and
is
therefore closely tied to the lives of its principals.  During the
past
two or three weeks, we have received numerous e-mails and phone calls
which have gone unreturned.  This behavior is not our normal mode of
operation, and I feel it is important that the circumstances
surrounding
this period of time be known.

Toward the end of April and beginning of May, I was out-of-town
traveling on business.  During that time, DMS was closed for order
processing, but did have someone watching phone/e-mail.  Before I
left,
we initiated a batch of Handy Board to be assembled during the
following
two weeks (through an outside vendor) to meet expected May orders (and

fulfill outstanding April orders -> see below).  After I returned from

my trip, I found several additional orders which had come in during my

absence.  The current and outstanding orders would have been filled
immediately except two problems arose:
        1) The batch of Handy Boards we had received from our assembly
house
has an error which prevented correct operation.
        2) I became very ill (for the second time in two weeks)., and
was
completely unable to perform any duties at DMS.  I began recovering
from
the illness toward the end of the third week of May.  Then, and rather

unexpectedly, I went from a routine doctor's follow-up visit to eye
surgery within two hours.  The eye surgery rendered my vision rather
poor for several days.

Needless to say, service at DMS dropped suddenly and sharply during
that
period.  I was unable to return phone calls, ship orders, reply to
e-mail, etc.  I began catching up only late last week for what seems
like a month's worth of work.  I apologize for the delay in
communicating with everyone the problems that I have had recently,
which
has also contributed greatly to the poor service from DMS.

Now, a little bit about what we've been doing.  During the past 18
months, DMS has shipped over five-hundred Handy Boards and received
markedly few complaints.  We have always strived for excellent
service,
and have done whatever it takes to keep our customers happy.  We have
sent out many components at no cost to our kit customers who may have
accidentally destroyed components while assembling their kits.  We
have
supported academic uses of our products through donations to
universities.  We have offered extensive applications engineering aid
our customers at no cost.  And, as hobbyists ourselves, we have tried
maintain user-friendly pricing.  DMS was the first in this market to
offer a 30-Day Return Policy and a 90-Day Standard Warranty, thereby
giving customers a chance to try out our products at absolutely no
risk
to them.  We have received many compliments from our customers because

of our strong commitment to service.  A sampling can be found at:
        http://www.dmsc.com/customer.htm

Handy Board vendors are required to maintain stock of Handy Boards, as

opposed to waiting for orders to build up and then process them.  We
have always tried to maintain stock of Handy Boards.  However, it is
not
always possible.  We can usually estimate the number of Handy Boards
we
will sell in a given period (usually a month) and plan accordingly.
Periodically, we receive larger orders which deplete our inventory
completely -- and unexpectedly.  When we receive such an order, we
quickly begin the process of acquiring and manufacturing a new batch
of
Handy Boards.  Since we outsource the actual assembly of the printed
circuit boards, we are constrained by the leadtimes of the assembly
house.  Our average turnaround times on circuit board assembly
(including part stuffing, wave-soldering and QC) is on the order of
two
weeks.  Hence, we will occasionally quote a lead time.  But, for the
most part, we try to maintain ample stock for timely delivery.

Kits are a little different than pre-assembled boards.  Since kits are

not subject to the same external vagarities as assembled units, we are

able to consistently deliver them without assembly lead times.  Your
order falls into this category.

I hope that helps clear up some of the concerns people have had with
DMS.  Please feel free to e-mail or call me if I can be of further
assistance.

        Sincereley,

        Prabal Dutta

Phethsavong Prachith wrote:

Has anyone ordered a handyboard kit from digital micro systems
in the past week. I've made an order from their website and have
yet to recieve any response about wether my order has been made.
Are there any other sources for the handyboard kit?
I had the impression that the vendors are required to maintain stock • of
their products for immediate delivery.

thanks,
phet

--
Prabal Dutta, President                    Tel:    (614) 299-2566
Digital Micro Systems, Corp.               FAX:    (614) 299-2939

I can understand about Handy Board delays but where are the IC 3.1
hard-copy manuals?  I ordered it along with IC the beginning of May and
haven't recieved it yet, what's going on?

                                                        Peter Eacmen

--
Peter Eacmen
Boston Latin School