 Robotics / Handy Board / 2172
Re: your mail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 13:32:25 GMT

On Fri, 16 May 1997, Phethsavong Prachith wrote:

Can anyone recommend something I should do to get more comfortable with
soldering before I attempt to assemble the kit since I really want to
become more adept at this sort of stuff.
And what type of solder should I use?

Get your soldering iron, some solder labeled electronics use, some old
circuit board, and solder away.  Or, you could take an old computer board
and desolder some components from it, and re-solder them in.  Just get in
there and do it.  You know you have a good connection when you can see the
solder 'wet' the wire, rather than just glob up.  Try to have the wire
heat the solder, not the iron directly.  I often initially melt a little
solder on the iron and flow it onto the wire, but that's just to get the
wire hot enough to melt the rest of the solder.  A good connection won't
have globs because the solder will wick out onto any surfaces.

On another note, does the handyboard need some sort of heat sink?

None of my chips get very hot.  If you drive large motors with the motor
driver chips, you might forestall damage with sinks glued to them.  The
L293's can't drive much more than an amp.

Also on another note, is there any way I can add a single chip 68hc11
computer that will work in conjunction with the handyboard besides
than having too purchase another handyboard to work together?

You can use the SPI bus to link the HB and any number of 68HC11's, but you
won't have IC running on the peripherals.  You'll need a different
programming environment (I use SBasic/ASMHC11/PCBug), but the SPI (Serial
Peripheral Interface) is available on any 68HC11.

* Michael L. Ross/C33 | Lockheed Martin Eng & Sci Svcs Co. ****
* Robotics Department | 2400 Nasa Rd. 1, Houston, TX 77058*****
* (281)333-7094; (281)333-6071 fax*    #include <disclaimer.h>*
* Finger me for my public key.  mross@outland.jsc.nasa.gov ****