 Robotics / Handy Board / 2169
2168  |  2170
Subject:
(no subject)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 03:56:10 GMT

Another note on soldering..
Heat control is VERY important.. Not so much being able to adjust the heat,
as having a temperature-controlled iron.

The "cheaper" irons get hotter or colder with the load (speed of soldering)
as well as the room temperature. (I remember a room full of assembly folks
having to stop work whenever the door opened in the wintertime).

This can make getting the "right" solder joints difficult, especially for a
newcomer. I strongly suggest getting a good, temperature-controlled iron.
I personally have been using a Weller station for many years. Mine has no
temp knob or switch, But has a thermostat in the tip which maintains a
constant temperature, regardless of load or room temp.

An iron like this probably costs between 80 - 100 dollars, (wild guess) but
will be a valuable tool for MANY years to come..

Just my two cents..
Lyle Hazelwood <amigaman@erinet.com>