 Robotics / Handy Board / 2167
Re: Soldering
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 15:56:00 GMT

Phet wrote:
However, I'm a bit hesitant about assembling the kit because I have no
experience >at all with soldering.

Can anyone recommend something I should do to get more comfortable with
soldering before I attempt to assemble the kit since I really want to
become more >adept at this sort of stuff. And what type of solder
should I use?

Shane is right, you'll find using very thin solder works much better.
Along with a fine tip, you'll want to use a low wattage iron. More is
not better here. I've used an 18 watt "Princess" soldering iron for
years. It is excellent for this kind of work. Occasionally check the tip
to make sure it's tight. If your having problems getting it hot enough,
a loose tip can be the culprit.

Another important key to good soldering is cleanliness. I use a damp
sponge to occasionally wipe the tip off. (also, keep the tip well
"tinned" with solder) All parts and surfaces need to be clean as
possible. This is not usually a problem if your working with new parts.
But keep handling to minimum, especially bare copper areas on the board.
Even the natural oils from your hands and fingers will deteriorate the
clean copper surface.

A good soldered joint will look "shiny". A bad joint has a dull "frosty"
look about it. In fact, it is referred to as a cold joint. Cold joints
may work at first, but their a time bomb waiting to cause trouble (
intermittent connections that will drive ya crazy). They often result
from movement while the solder is solidifying.

Cleaning the rosin away after a job can make the difference between a
professional or an amateurish looking hack job. (That single point once
landed me a job) You can use alcohol or other rosin cleaner.

One other thing, heat is an enemy to small components. Stay on it only
as long as necessary. If a soldering joint is going rough, fall back and
figure out why. Let it cool, and get it shiny clean before attempting
again. Also watch out for the copper "runs" on the board. The copper is
glued to the board and too much heat too long will cause them to come
loose.

Don't be intimidated by it, it can actually be enjoyable. Just be
careful. When you burn yourself (sorry, but it usually happens sooner or
later), run your hand or finger under very cold water for several
minutes. The recovery from the pain is shortened.

Hope this helps!
Terry King.
Terry.King@fmr.com