 Robotics / Handy Board / 2166
2165  |  2167
Subject:
Soldering/ Second processor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 07:51:36 GMT

->Hi, I'm planning to purchase the handyboard as a kit from Digital Mirco
System, since I'm a bit tight with money. However, I'm a bit hesitant
about assembling the kit because I have no experience at all with
soldering.

The trick is to use THIN 60/40 solder with flux core. Around 0.71 mm
thickness is good. Dont try and use anything over 1mm diameter.
Also ensure your soldering iron has a fine tip. Good things to practice on
are any number of cheap kits available from electronic stores or just get a
circuit board and use resistors and chip sockets to save money. The
handyboard would probably be a chalenging first project. I suggest getting
someone to show you good soldering technique and a demo as I remember I was
hopeless when I first started and it takes a while to get the hang of it.

Also on another note, is there any way I can add a single chip 68hc11 • computer that will work in conjunction with the handyboard besides than
having too purchase another handyboard to work together.? What I want to
do is have the handyboard control and monitor the sensors and >motors so
that it can effectively move around efficiently. And have the other
microprocessor work on mapping out it's environment and model a >behavior
that will best suite this environment whether it's a confined maze or
unrestricted open floor filled with varying obstacles.

There are other HC11 computers out there a good one is F1 controller board
http://pm.cse.rmit.edu.au/~f1. I am using this for my robot. It is about as
small as the handyboard but has no inbuilt motor control or LCD display or
anything just access to some of the data ports on the HC11 so if you dont
need all the options for the second onw this could be an option..

Depending on what you are doing however 2 HC11's may not be necessary.
coordinating the sharing of data between two computers like this will
probably lose you most of the gains. My project is very similar (I am
building a maze solving robot) In my robot I have written all the sensor
and motor control routines in assembler for high speed which run as
interrupts in the background. With these running I still have ove 70% of
the processing power left to control mapping and navigation. This is a way
of doing what you want to do without a second computer but requires a bit
more programming knowledge.

Shane Huntley

ADFA Micromouse Team '97