 Robotics / Handy Board / 2148
RE: GPS Sample Code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 15:39:20 GMT

On Tue, 13 May 1997, Fred Cass wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what equipment did you use for the GPS?
Perhaps you mentioned it in an earlier message, but I haven't seen it.
If you don't mind, maybe you could forward it to the list as many others
are probably curious.

I am using a Garmin GPS-35PC.  This thing looks like a computer mouse
without the buttons.  It is a 12-channel parallel unit, but has no display
or keyboard.  The only connections are 12VDC from a cigarette lighter plug
and a DE-9 connector for connecting to a computer.

I bought it pretty cheaply last fall through a group buy from Garmin, but
there are units now that are much cheaper which are completely portable and
have display/keyboard/battery case built in.  Check out the Garmin GPS-12XL
($250), Eagle Explorer ($199), or Lowrance Global Nav 200 ($250).  All of
these are 12-channel parallel GPS receivers.  If you're looking for a
remote-sensor type of GPS (like mine), you can get the DeLorme Tripmate
along with Street Atlas 4 for around $150.  It's also a 12-channel receiver.

See my GPS page for an absolutely unwieldy list of GPS units and rough
prices I've seen in catalogs and on the net.  Disclaimer:  I am not in the
GPS business in any way.  It's just a hobby.  My web pages are entirely
non-commercial.

I am not using GPS on a robot.  I'm only using the handyboard as an output
device for the GPS at the moment.  GPS on a robot would require far more
money than reasonable for a hobby robot.  In order to get any real accuracy
one would need survey-grade units that use both frequencies.  Differential
GPS wouldn't even cut it for most uses.

Sci.geo.satellite-nav is the newsgroup for GPS discussion of all types.

Curt Mills, WE7U
Senior Methods Engineer/System Administrator
hacker@tc.fluke.com

archer@eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer   <-- Here's where my GPS page can be found.