 Robotics / Handy Board / 2141
Re: Trinty Firefighting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 05:11:00 GMT

Keith wrote:
At the Trinity Firefighting contest, what seemed to be the best method for
detecting the flame?

I used IR phototransistors. I picked them up at a local electronics
surplus. They may have been mediocre in sensitivity as they could only
respond to flame a couple of feet away. Putting a magnifying lens in
front made a drastic difference, now the range is several feet. I've
seen IR phototransistors with the lens built in.

Fred may be on to something about simplicity. But I shied away from just
looking for light because I was worried about ambient light in the arena
causing calibration problems. The walls are painted white. On the other
hand, there is truckloads of ambient IR all around.

Anyway, IR photransistors seem to work for me. They're mounted in servo
driven modules that rotate 180 deg apart.

Thanks to Fred, you can see what they look like at:
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/projects/tcrobot/disk1/57.jpg

Terry King
Terry.King@fmr.com