 Robotics / Handy Board / 1969
1968  |  1970
Subject:
line following
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:40:42 GMT

I have had great success with black tape on many different light colored
backgrounds but I wasn't using discrete components for the sensors and
emitters.  Instead, I used Omron EE-SY313 amplified infrared photosensors,
and
plugged them right into the digital inputs of my microcontroller.  If you
need to
have a high return from the sensor when it is over a white surface, get
EE-SY413,
which is identical to the EE-SY313 except that the signal is reversed.

Using two sensors will allow your robot to follow a straight or slightly
curved line.  If
you need your robot to make actual turns, then use extra sensors.  I put
the two
line following sensors near the centerline of my robot just slightly
outside of the line,
and two more sensors an inch or so further out to check for turns.  Then I
polled all
four sensors in my main paragraph. If either line following sensor returned
true, I
ran a correction routine to speed up the wheel opposite the direction I
wanted to
correct toward until the robot was back to straddling the line.  If either
turn sensor
returned true, I ran a turn routine to make the robot pivot on its axis
until it was
again straddling the line, this time a line at some angle from the
original.

-patrick

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1