 Robotics / Handy Board / 1963
Re: line following
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:24:29 GMT

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997 Katt97@aol.com wrote:

In my rather limited experience with reflective photosensors, I've found that

As have I, so when I wanted to build a line-follower, I used a couple of
IR detectors in concert with a pair of IR emitting diodes.  They were
arranged on the nose of the robot as follows:

  1 2 3 4
  \ | | /

Where 1&4 are the IR emitters and 2&3 are the detectors.  I aimed the
diodes at an angle such that the little patch of IR light that they
emitted would appear right below where the detectors were looking.  I
also had the detectors shrouded with black shrinkwrap so that the only
place IR energy could get in was at the very bottoms, aimed towards the
floor.

The map that I used was done on a laserprinter as lines made by toner
seem to be extremely good at absorbing IR light.  The nice thing about
this setup is that it works in many different lighting conditions with
little or no trouble.  However, it is very succeptible to problems such
as breaks in the toner line and other garbage that falls on the map.

-Paul

Paul E. Rybski --- http://www.cs.umn.edu/~rybski
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
-- Galileo Galilei