 Robotics / Handy Board / 1961
Re: line following
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 20:23:16 GMT

Two reflective photosensors are aimed at the floor. • <snip>
If both sensors see white then you've
lost the line and better stop and get help.
<snip>

In my rather limited experience with reflective photosensors, I've found that
black on white is not always the best of choices -- the white can come up as
different numbers depending on how clean/dirty the floor is and the texture
of the white (is it shiny and smooth, dull and rough, patterned, etc).  Maybe
use a strip of yellow tape on either side of the black (duct tape works
pretty well -- readings are pretty constant with duct tape and it sticks
really well :)  ) to help defray bad readings from the sensors.
Also, if both sensors see non-black (which could be a better way to program
-- have everything in terms of black so that you lower the variables), you
could have it go around in a spiral or something, but if they go so it goes
left and right, it should not get off the tape (note the word should -- funky
things can happen!!).
-Kat-
~Class of 1997~