 Robotics / Handy Board / 1952
Re: line following
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:31:48 GMT

On Apr 14, 11:37pm, Rajesh Gottlieb wrote:
Subject: line following

Hey all,

I'm looking for some ideas on sensors and algorithms for a line following
robot (black tape on white floor).

If any of you have had some luck at this or know where I can find
some info please let me know.

Thanks
Rajesh

-- End of excerpt from Rajesh Gottlieb

He have (had?) some robots here at work that were used in the production
areas, and they followed a line on the floor.  I've not studied them
carefully, but I think they work something like this:

Two reflective photosensors are aimed at the floor.  They are close enough
together that when the robot is centered over the tape they both see it.
In your case, if both sensors see black (no reflection) then you're on
the tape.  If your left sensor sees white then you're too far left, so
you need to veer to the right (speed up the left wheel, stop/slow down the
right wheel, whatever).  If your right sensor sees white then you're
too far right, so you veer left.  If both sensors see white then you've
lost the line and better stop and get help.

This could be extended to use more sensors...for example, four sensors,
with "normal" being the middle two black and the outer two white.
Make up a truth table of the 16 possible conditions of the four sensors
and decide what to do in each case - veer right, veer left, keep going
straight, or stop.

Hope that helps.

Chris Moore
cmoore@cancun.rose.hp.com