 Robotics / Handy Board / 1934
Re: pressure sensors... antistatic foam -Reply
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 1997 23:03:04 GMT

At 12:01 4/11/97, DANIEL HERSKOWITZ wrote:
Hi,
When you say "antistatic foam" do mean the ordinary stuff that IC's get
packed in?
Daniel Herskowitz

That's exactly the stuff. I saw a demo of this in class, so I can't give
you specifics, but it's the sort of experiment that takes about 6 minutes
to try on your own. Note, however, that there are a few different kinds of
the foam: i mean the black open-cell stuff that is fairly thin. It might
work with others, but this is what was used on the demo.

Daniel Nicholas Horner <horner@ecf.toronto.edu> 04/09/97 03:10pm

A viable option, depending on what sort of pressure is involved, is to
put a thin piece of conductive (ie. antistatic) foam between two metal
plates. The resistance between the plates ends up being roughly
proportional to the pressure applied. It might be worth experimenting
with various kinds/thicknesses if you find this useful.

__
Or is it true that a nation cannot cross a desert of organized forgetting?