 Robotics / Handy Board / 1925
Re: pressure sensors... non-conductive foam
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:40:12 GMT

Max> Do you think it would also be viable to use a soft
Max> NON-conductive foam and then measure the capacitance instead of
Max> the resistance to work accurately with lighter pressures?

Actually this will work better.  I built a grid sensor using
conductive foam and brass strips.  The brass strips tarnished over the
years and the resistance with the foam changed.

Capacitance might change with humidity, but you would be able to glue
the plates to the foam, rather than rely on some other connection,
making this more reliable.

Using a Frequency to Voltage convertor, this might be the best
solution.